Get a head start on college and life by earning an Associate’s degree or certificate at Southwestern Michigan College while still in high school through the Dowagiac Union Early College program.
How does it work?
By committing to the Early College program, students will take high school and college classes simultaneously during their junior and senior year. During a “13th” year, students will take all their classes at Southwestern Michigan College. An early college student will enjoy all the benefits of the traditional senior activities during the 12th-grade year.
What are the benefits?
- Save a ton of money
- Support services
- Free tuition and fees
- Focused degree completion
What degrees can I earn?
Degree options will be explored with each student personally. A student will work towards an Associate’s degree or an Occupational Certificate through Southwestern Michigan College.
Contact the Director for questions and information about our exciting new Early College program:
Career Cruising engages and inspires people of all ages to achieve their full potential in school, career, and life. We do this with age-appropriate career development, assessments, planners and other resources that are based on the real world. In partnership with schools, community organizations, and employers, we enable a ‘whole community’ approach to career and workforce development.
For Parents and Students:
Career Cruising is a global leader in online career development with a presence across more than 20,000 sites worldwide. Among many other features and functions, their interactive career guidance resource provides you with the ability to do the following:
- Complete world renowned interest and skills assessments,
- Search hundreds of occupation profiles
- Search thousands of post-secondary education options
- Maintain a living portfolio, My Plan
- Create 4-year course plans
- Create and export resumes and cover letters
- Maintain a journal for career development ideas
Every student at Dowagiac Union Schools has free online access to Career Cruising. If you need information on how to log in, please contact Kara Cox or Randy Luthringer. Once you have been provided with your login information, you can access your account at www.careercruising.com and start building your My Plan. Your My Plan is a dynamic place that allows you to save your assessment results, information about careers and schools of interest, work, volunteer and extracurricular experiences, and any relevant documents.
As the parent or guardian of a child with a Career Cruising account, you have complete access to Career Cruising’s Parent Portal which allows you to keep in touch with your son or daughter’s career and education planning progress! Through the Parent Portal, you can:
- View your child’s goals, interests, achievements, and experiences
- Track your child’s plans and progress
- Provide feedback to your child and his or her teachers and advisors
- Receive messages from your child’s educators
- Explore Career Cruising to learn more about career and education options
In order to create a Parent Portal account, you will need an activation code. The activation code should be 8-characters long, including both letters and numbers, e.g. A1b2C3d4. An activation code can only be used once. You can obtain a code in one of two ways:
- You can request one from Randy Luthringer.
- Your son or daughter can send you an email invitation with a code through their account. (Please note: Some sites may have deactivated this option. If that is the case, please contact your child’s school for an activation code.)
Once you have received your activation code, you can create your account at: https://www.careercruising.com/Parent.
Click on the Register Now link and follow the online instructions.