As of today at 9:16 AM, Executive Order No. 2020-35 "Provision of K-12 education during the remainder of the 2019-20 school year," was signed by Governor Whitmer. As we are assessing the 17-pages of the E.O., I felt there was vital information that would be helpful for you to know to help the transition begin. I am going to share the information in a timeline format.
1. March 16 to April 1: the initial closing of schools with alternative learning opportunities provided by districts to provide opportunities for students to maintain their learning. These processes are still in place and can be used until new opportunities are developed.
2. Today, the E.O. was delivered to all school districts in Michigan. We have been given a due date, April 28, for the start of new distance learning options. Local Intermediate School Districts must approve the plans as the representatives of the State.
3. The template/format for the development of our plans is targeted to be available by tomorrow, April 3, the day-spring break officially starts.
4. ISD's have been charged with being ready to assist with the development and review of plans by Wednesday, April 8.
5. We have been working on additional options for learning at a distance, but now with the E.O. requirements, we will be working with staff heavily during the week of April 13-17.
6. We are targeting submission and hoping for approval of our plan by Friday, April 17.
7. We are also hoping to be able to begin our new process for distance learning on Monday, April 20, but will start no later the required April 28.
I want to assure everyone that the plan is being developed with two forms of delivery: 1. Electronically for those who have access to broadband and devices, and 2. New learning packets for those who do not. We are committed to meeting the needs of all students, and to prevent students from being negatively affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also, if you have not completed the only survey that was sent out earlier this week, we would greatly appreciate it.
As we move through this process, we will be present more information to you. Stay safe, practice the recommended actions of social distancing, and remember #DowagiacUnited, we will get through this together.