Greetings, Chieftain Nation! Last night’s Board of Education meeting was jam-packed and included the approval of DUS return to school for this coming fall. Today’s...
Kindergarten Round-Up will be taking place on the following dates:Patrick Hamilton - Wednesday, August 12thSister Lakes - Thursday, August 13thJustus Gage - Tuesday, August...
Click below to read more.https://docs.google.com/docume...
Greetings, Chieftain Nation!
Last night’s Board of Education meeting was jam-packed and included the approval of DUS return to school for this coming fall. Today’s message will have the big picture information. Starting next week, we will be sharing more detailed information to help you prepare for the start of the 2020-21 school year.
1. The first day for student learning is moving from Monday, August 31, to Tuesday, September 8. This provides added time for staff development with new learning software.
2. We are currently in phase 4 of the governor’s system, and if we are in phase 4 on September 8, we will use distance learning during the first five (5) weeks of school for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. After three weeks, the district will reassess and determine if we will extend beyond the five weeks and consider In-Person Instruction.
3. If our region is moved into Phase 5 during the first five weeks, we will assess moving to in-person instruction. If this transition happens, it will not happen overnight. We believe it will take a least one (1) week but no more than two (2) weeks to make the shift.
4. The Board also approved that the Superintendent may establish procedures and processes for small group instruction, no larger than ten (10) students at a time, to provide added intervention support or special needs for students throughout the district. Students will be selected with the assistance of the teaching and administrative staff.
5. During distance learning at the beginning of the school year, extra-curricular activities may take place as long as they follow the appropriate state and district guidelines. This is not just limited to athletic events. Administrators will work with the different activities groups to determine how and when events can happen.
6. If our region is in Phase 5 before September 8, the school will start with in-person instruction.
7. Families that feel due to the COVID-19 situation, their children would be better served by not participating in distance learning or in-person instruction may choose to use a district established Virtual/Cyber learning. Families wanting this option will need to commit during August and understand this choice is for the entire semester.
The Board understands that these times are causing great concern and uncertainty for families. The decision was made trying to address everyone’s interests as much as possible. Chieftains believe we are stronger when we stay together and work through challenges as a community, even when we do not agree. Your patience, understanding, and support of the district are much appreciated.
This is a reminder that there is a special Board meeting this evening at 7 PM. The session will be at the middle school and will be held outside on the south side of the building by the parking lot.
Dowagiac Union Schools
Dowagiac Community: Due to a recent resignation on the Board of Education, the Dowagiac Union Schools is seeking interested applicants to fill a vacant seat on the Board of Education. Applicants must submit a letter of interest to the attention of the Board President (mailed or delivered to Administration Office.) Letters must be received by 4 pm., on Wednesday, August 12th.
If you, or someone you know, would be interested in serving on the Board of Education, please submit your letter of interest to the Board by August 12th.
Dowagiac Union Schools
Tonight's BOE Work Session will be held outside on the south side of Dowagiac Middle School. Back parking area. Work Session begins at 7:00 p.m.
Please read the Superintendent's update regarding school opening this Fall. The link is here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MNWUbqQcNSp3immQ5nNZA79sFdvP9gzR/view?usp=sharing